This myth gives adults permission to not listen or believe their child but instead to try to control and change them.
- Gender Identity is too complex for a child to understand.
- Only adults can know what gender identity a child should have.
- Children must be guided to follow a set gender standard.
- Who knows our heart’s desire?
- Children know what they like.
“Developmental psychology theory teaches that a child should know their gender identity by age 6.”
Diane Ehrensaft, Director of Mental Health at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital’s, Child and Adolescent Gender Center