This myth suggests that any person that does not line up with the hetero-sexist and binary gender culture must have a mental disorder.
- The person is LGBTQ+ because they are mentally ill.
- The mental illness is a negative influence.
- The LGBTQ+ person is in need of healing.
- Being LGBTQ+ implies no impairment in judgment, stability, reliability, or general social or vocational capabilities.
“Same-sex sexual and romantic attractions, feelings, and behaviors are normal and positive variations of human sexuality regardless of sexual orientation identity; and diverse gender expressions, regardless of gender identity, and diverse gender identities, beyond a binary classification, are normal and positive variations of the human experience.” Council Policy (February 2015) American Psychological Association (APA) www.apa.org
- “The LGBTQ+ community experiences more negative mental health outcomes due to rejection, prejudice and other biases.”
“Personal, family, and social acceptance of sexual orientation and gender identity affects positively the mental health and personal safety of LGBTQ+ individuals.”
Myth #1 : Being LGBTQ+ is a choice.
Myth #2: Transgender people are confused or tricking others.
Myth #3: Gay people can change.
Myth #4: Gay men molest children.
Myth #5: The bathroom threat is real.
Myth #6: Same sex parents harm children.
Myth #7: Being LGBTQ+ is a mental disorder.
Myth #8: People can be turned gay.