This myth is part of a broader demand that all families be traditional in nature, as in: one dad, one mom and their children.
- LGBTQ+ people cannot be trusted with children.
- Children living with LGBTQ+ people will become LGBTQ+.
- LGBTQ+ people are not good role models for children.
- A parents’ sexual orientation is much less important than having loving and nurturing parents.
- No legitimate research has demonstrated that same-sex couples are any more or any less harmful to children than heterosexual couples.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes the diversity of families. Children who grow up with one or two gay and/or lesbian parents will develop emotionally, cognitively, socially, and sexually as well as children whose parents are heterosexual.