This myth carries a lot of weight. The element of choice is kept alive and blame is imposed on LGBTQ+ people for being who they are. They are told they are either choosing to be LGBTQ+ or they are choosing to live the “lifestyle.”
- People have a choice when it comes to sexual orientation, you can be something different than what you are.
- LGBTQ+ people are consciously deciding their sexual orientation
- Being LGBTQ+ is not a good choice.
- Research on sexual orientation points to genes, hormones, and brain anatomy.
- Sexual orientation is likely determined prenatally.
- If sexual orientation is a choice then people also choose to be heterosexual.
The Science of Sexual Orientation
Myth #1 : Being LGBTQ+ is a choice.
Myth #2: Transgender people are confused or tricking others.
Myth #3: Gay people can change.
Myth #4: Gay men molest children.
Myth #5: The bathroom threat is real.
Myth #6: Same sex parents harm children.
Myth #7: Being LGBTQ+ is a mental disorder.
Myth #8: People can be turned gay.